To All Members of Teamsters Local Union No. 340
Office staff employee Peggy Timmons intends to retire later in this year. Her retirement will leave a huge gap to be filled. We say, “filled” instead of replaced because we know that she can never really be replaced. She has worked for the Local since having been hired by President Emeritus Robert L. Piccone over 30 years ago and he says he has never regretted having hired her. All those years she has worked on behalf of every member, assuring each one received the service and representation they deserved. To that end, the Local is now undergoing a search for someone to fill the vacancy.
I have prepared a job description and invitation for job applications from those, who having read the job description, feel they meet the job requirements to apply.
Interested parties should prepare a resume that shows how the applicants consider themselves suited for the job based on the job description requirements.
All applications will be reviewed, and certain applicants will eventually be asked to appear before the Executive Board for an in-person interview. Should Covid-19 still be a problem at that time the interview will be virtual.
All resumes should be sent to me prior to February 27, 2021 at 27 Main Street – South Portland, Maine 04106 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
President and Business Agent
Job Title: Office Staff Member and Member and Agent Services Employee
Position Status: Full-Time
FSLA Classification: Non-Exempt
At Local 340, representing our members is the very purpose of our existence. The top priority of our member services team is to assist and advocate for our members and business agents in our efforts to be the example of a worker’s representatives in such a manner that non-members will seek to become a Teamster. As an office staff service member, you will be responsible for delivering high quality, friendly, professional, timely and accurate responses to members’ needs. At Local 340 we take our commitment to our members seriously and this position is essential to the organization’s success as a trusted workers’ advocate.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Effectively seek answers to questions, issues and concerns that develop daily and doing so in a considerate, professional, and timely manner using a variety of communication and research devices and channels (phone, email, web, etc.)
- Interpret and explain membership and services eligibility rules to members
- Take full ownership of any follow-up that is needed to thoroughly address members’ questions or concerns, such as researching, reaching out to others for membership related information so as not to leave an inquiry unresolved.
- Develop and maintain an effective tracking system to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks; to assume responsibility for yourself and your actions!
- Document every member interaction with an effective system to ensure the member’s record is up to date with all relevant information
- Master the details of the office procedures to ensure that you can provide timely and accurate information and service to member inquiries
- Spot any trends in member issues and flag for the rest of the team
- Provide administrative support to the principal officer and business agents, (for example, assist with member mailings or serve as periodic backup for other members of the office staff, shop steward and officers and agents and member services
Requirements and Skills (About you and the skills you’ll need to be successful in this job)
- You must be willing and able to learn the culture and goals of the Teamsters
- You need to be capable of learning to use the computer systems and documentation systems of the office and the Union
- You need to be one who can and will take responsibility for yourself and to admit errors
- You care deeply, genuinely and passionately about the importance of Union representation and the rights of workers to have Union representation and a safe workplace.
- Understanding the importance of and be willing to work toward member support and the importance it plays in making a member-focused office successful
- You must be skilled at composing thoughtful, articulate, thorough and personalized responses to issues that arise
- You can manage frequent interruptions and respond appropriately to unexpected situations with poise and without frustration
- You are naturally calm and professional under pressure and you excel at deescalating a challenging situation
- You excel at the subtle nuances of great communication such as listening to understand the full meaning of what’s being asked of you and recognizing and responding to unspoken needs, clearly conveying information and patiently repeating or reframing when the recipient does not understand
- You possess strong organizational and time-management skills without direct supervision
- You have good mastery of common Microsoft products such as Word, Excel and Outlook and you can quickly learn new software systems
- You are very comfortable using common office equipment such as phones, copiers, fax machines, printers, etc.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- You must have a minimum of 2 years of customer service experience in a service-based organization
- Experience in conflict resolution and Union culture and goals is preferred, but we will train the right candidate
About Teamsters Local #340
Teamsters Local #340 is a Labor Union that is affiliated with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. We represent both private and public sector workers for purposes of collective bargaining and contract enforcement. We also take the lead in advocating for workers’ rights for both Union and non-union workers in Maine and the nation
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com